Translate

Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Day 22: 5 Things We Have to Stop Pretending in Education

1. That we are Mary Poppins.
I like the quote, "Not every day is good, but there is something good in every day." Because, let's get real...when I have to ask my students to put their heads down, when no one appears to be listening to me, when I feel I need a bullhorn to get my students attention, it's not a good day and that is OK. We are human. We can have days when we'd like to park ourselves at happy hour.

2. That we need to look like teachers on Pinterest or Instagram.
I LOVE both Pinterest and Instagram. I love the ideas and inspiration. I love that I can think about getting crafty, at the last minute, on Earth Day, and can find something just right for my students. However, when it steps beyond that, when we start to compare ourselves to others and end up feeling like "losers" because our wall doesn't look like a scene out of Frozen, we need to back away. Great pictures don't equal great teaching.

3. That we will be provided the training we need.
It seems most teachers have the nice gene like me. We sit and quietly wait because SOMEONE will surely offer us the training we need. SOMEONE will make sure we grow in our profession. SOMEONE will tell us what we need to do. Note to Self: That SOMEONE IS YOU. You are your biggest advocate. Realize where you need to grow and ask for training in that area. Otherwise you'll be sad.

4. That we will be treated fairly in all things.
I like to believe in the inherent good in people, but not everyone out there is kind. Realize your boundaries and stick to them. Just because a veteran teacher asks you to do something doesn't mean you have to. Just because its a veteran teacher who is being rude, doesn't mean its OK. Be kind but assertive. Look after yourself and your family time.

5. That we can ignore technology.
Technology is here and it isn't going away! So don't hide from it, embrace it! Realize you need to learn how to check your email if you don't know how. And that it is a good idea to learn things that will better your students in the long run. We can't hide out in a cave because we feel Facebook is the devil. Become informed so that you can be a beacon for others.

No comments:

Post a Comment