Translate

Saturday, April 18, 2015

Day 17: TGIF--mindfulness

I'm beginning to think I need to join an, "Every 3rd Day Post to Your Blog" challenge. As that is about how often I am getting time to write. However, I truly am enjoying posting for a reason and having an incentive, a little knock-knock via virtual friends, to keep me mindful. It keeps my blog in  the forefront of my mind and not the attic.

Friday's topic was, "What are You Thankful for?" Gosh, more like what am I not as there are so many things I am thankful for.

When I entered therapy I learned about mindfulness--the ability to live in the now, be present, be aware, how to change thoughts and body to enjoy life more. It has been such a great skill to have. The ability to realize when things are amiss, when I'm overly stressed, and knowing how to rectify the situation and think clearly has been such a blessing.

I have always believed in the mantra: life is short...don't put off until tomorrow what can bring you great joy today. But it seems to become more imperative as I age. After my brother in law was killed, I realized you truly can be here today and gone tomorrow. After my brother was diagnosed with ALS I truly no longer cared how long the car ride was, or how tired I would be, it was important to see him, be with him, let him know how much he would be missed. After he passed away last year, we lost a family friend, who was like a brother, to kidney failure. The sad list, at my age, seems to grow longer with each passing day.

And so, I am thankful, for the sun on my face, a bird singing, a flower blooming, nature in all its boring (to some) glory. Thankful for the family I have still with me, the ones that truly stand behind you, walk the walk, talk the talk. Thankful for my grandmother Della who means the world to me. Thankful for the daughter I never thought I would have due to my struggle with infertility. Friends and strangers who helped me get from the dark of 4 years ago back to the light.

And I break into song like my brother in law used to do, "I get knocked down, but I get up again. You're never gonna keep me down."

Happy Friday.

Tubthumping (I get Knocked Down)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment